-   -   How do I extend underline across a whole cell w/o using the border (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/31592-how-do-i-extend-underline-across-whole-cell-w-o-using-border.html)

R Morgan

How do I extend underline across a whole cell w/o using the border

I am trying to figure out how to extend an underline across a whole cell
without using the border. I have cells that have it done, but when I try to
change the information in them, it reduces the underline to just the text in
the cell.

RagDyer

Try using single or double*accounting* underline.

Funny thing about this is, although it's called accounting, if you enter a
number in the cell, the underline does *not* extend the full width of the
cell.
Text will make it go the full width.
Also, entering a number with an apostrophe prefix, or *pre-formatting* the
cell to Text, will allow it to fill the entire width when using numbers.
--
HTH,

RD

"R Morgan" <R wrote in message
I am trying to figure out how to extend an underline across a whole cell
without using the border. I have cells that have it done, but when I try

change the information in them, it reduces the underline to just the text

in
the cell.

David

RagDyer wrote

Try using single or double*accounting* underline.

Funny thing about this is, although it's called accounting, if you
enter a number in the cell, the underline does *not* extend the full
width of the cell.
Text will make it go the full width.
Also, entering a number with an apostrophe prefix, or *pre-formatting*
the cell to Text, will allow it to fill the entire width when using
numbers.

I've found, in XL2K at least, that accounting underlines do not extend the
*full* width of the cell.

--
David

R Morgan

The apostrophe combined with the single accounting underline did the trick.
Thank you very much.

RagDyer

R.Morgan,
Appreiate the feed-back

David,
In the 3 versions that I have access to:
XL97 - XL2k - XL02

All work *exactly* the same way as I posted above!

RD

"R Morgan" wrote in message
The apostrophe combined with the single accounting underline did the

trick.
Thank you very much.

David

RagDyer wrote

David,
In the 3 versions that I have access to:
XL97 - XL2k - XL02

All work *exactly* the same way as I posted above!

Hmm.., maybe I don't follow your definition of 'entire width'. I see a
small gap left and right of the underline that doesn't meet the cell
gridline. And if I format several cells in the same row, the underline is
broken between entries no matter what I do.

Ex: I type '22 in A1, format font underline as single accounting, drag-fill
to G1, underline is not continuous, i.e., broken between cells.

And... row height increases from 12.75 to 15.00.

Oh, well, I was just curious about new ways to make things look the way I
want. No bigee.

--
David

RagDyeR

Yes, your definition of "entire width" *doesn't* match my definition, *OR*
the OP's either, for that matter.

You're odd man out.<bg

RD