-   -   How do I create a "fixed-width" datafile? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/31459-how-do-i-create-%22fixed-width%22-datafile.html)

Alex K

How do I create a "fixed-width" datafile?

I need to create a fixed-width file from an Excel .xls file to import into my
FedEx shipping software.

How may I save or convert my file into a fixed field datafile?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Dave Peterson

If you don't have too long a line (no more than 240 characters per line), try
saving a copy of your workbook as a .prn file.

Look in the Save As Type box:
Formatted Text (Space delimited)(*.prn)

I like to change to Courier New font and resize the columns the way I like.

--

Dave Peterson

Alex K

Dave,

Thank you for responding. I do need to save the file as a "fixed field".
the .prn option saves it as a "space" delimited file.

Know how to get it into a "fixed field" format?
I have about 30 columns of data with 2-35 characters per cell. And about
2000 rows.

Thanks again,

Alex

Alex K wrote:

I need to create a fixed-width file from an Excel .xls file to import into my
FedEx shipping software.

How may I save or convert my file into a fixed field datafile?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Actually, it doesn't save the file as space delimited (each field separated by a
single space). It's fixed width.

The number of rows don't matter--but the number of characters per line will.

Another option is to have a macro do it for you.

JE McGimpsey has some nice code you can borrow and enhance at:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

Alex K wrote:

I need to create a fixed-width file from an Excel .xls file to import into my
FedEx shipping software.

How may I save or convert my file into a fixed field datafile?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Earl Kiosterud

Alex,

I think Dave's solution is what you need. There's a section on fixed-length
text files at http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/textfiles.htm that may help.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com/