-   -   Excel opens my file and a book1.xls, make it stop? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3126-excel-opens-my-file-book1-xls-make-stop.html)

Bob

Excel opens my file and a book1.xls, make it stop?

When I open an excel file it opens my file and a book1.xls workbook as well,
how do I make it stop?

Dave Peterson

Does that book1.xls really have the extension .xls?

If yes, use windows start button to search for your xlstart folder.

If there's a file named book1.xls in there, move it or delete it.

Don't delete any file named book.xlt or sheet.xlt.

If that doesn't work, use windows start button|search to look for book1.xls.

When you find it, move it or delete it.

--

Dave Peterson

bob

It says book1 not book1.xls. I looked in the xlstart folder, but it only had
the book.xls file in it. Does this help?

Bob wrote:

When I open an excel file it opens my file and a book1.xls workbook as well,
how do I make it stop?

--

Dave Peterson

Peo Sjoblom

Do a windows file search for Book1.xls or Book1.*, then move/delete it

Peo Sjoblom

Bob wrote:

When I open an excel file it opens my file and a book1.xls workbook as
well,
how do I make it stop?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

If you have a book.xls in your xlstart folder (really .xls), move it (or delete
it).

You may be hiding the extensions. It's a windows setting that can be toggled.

In win98, I open windows explorer,
click on Tools|folder options|view tab

And make sure "Hide file extensions for known file types" is not checked.

I think it makes using the pc safer to show extensions. If you get a file that
looks like:
readme.txt, it may really be readme.txt.exe (with the .exe hidden).

A lot of virus/worms can get installed this way.

Bob wrote:

When I open an excel file it opens my file and a book1.xls workbook as well,
how do I make it stop?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Bob

I renamed and deleted the book.xls file in the XLStart folder and it still
opens both files.

Bob wrote:

When I open an excel file it opens my file and a book1.xls workbook as well,
how do I make it stop?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

You deleted the files and they're still being opened?

You may want to search for book*.xls and delete all of them (in case you missed
a few).

But excel will create a new workbook each time you open excel.

But it's called book1 (no .xls in the title bar).

If that's what you see, it's normal.

If you still see book1.xls, then use windows search once again.

====

You can tell excel to stop creating that new workbook by creating a new shortcut
(on your desktop??).

Just point at your copy of excel.exe and append " /e" to the end:

"C:\myfolderthatholds\excel.exe" /e

You'll see a grey window when you open excel.