-   -   Add hours together (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/31070-add-hours-together.html)

Tara Keane

Add hours together

I'm trying to do up a timesheet - very basic mon-fri. I have time in and
lunch and time out. At the end of each row I have a formula that calculates
7:15 hours i.e. number of hours worked that day. When I try to add up the
five rows for the weekly total I get 12:15 but it should add up to 36:15 i.e.
36 hours and fifteen minutes. I've tried converting to serial number but
can't seem to get it to work. There was a mention of a link to cpearson but
that seems very complicated. I just want to add hours together to get a total
number of hours.

Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:22:05 -0700, "Tara Keane"
wrote:

I'm trying to do up a timesheet - very basic mon-fri. I have time in and
lunch and time out. At the end of each row I have a formula that calculates
7:15 hours i.e. number of hours worked that day. When I try to add up the
five rows for the weekly total I get 12:15 but it should add up to 36:15 i.e.
36 hours and fifteen minutes. I've tried converting to serial number but
can't seem to get it to work. There was a mention of a link to cpearson but
that seems very complicated. I just want to add hours together to get a total
number of hours.

Format the cell in which you have the SUM function:

[h]:mm

The [] around the h prevent it from "rolling over" every 24 hours.

--ron

JE McGimpsey

Format/Cells/Number/Custom [h]:mm

will prevent the hours from "rolling over" every 24:00

In article ,
"Tara Keane" wrote:

I'm trying to do up a timesheet - very basic mon-fri. I have time in and
lunch and time out. At the end of each row I have a formula that calculates
7:15 hours i.e. number of hours worked that day. When I try to add up the
five rows for the weekly total I get 12:15 but it should add up to 36:15 i.e.
36 hours and fifteen minutes. I've tried converting to serial number but
can't seem to get it to work. There was a mention of a link to cpearson but
that seems very complicated. I just want to add hours together to get a total
number of hours.

tjtjjtjt

Use the Custom Number Format [h]:mm for the cell(s) that contains the formula.
--
tj