-   -   how do i type a time into a cell formatted for time? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/31006-how-do-i-type-time-into-cell-formatted-time.html)

Armadillo

how do i type a time into a cell formatted for time?

I have highlighted a block of cells and used format-cell-time to format for
time but when I try to type in a time using the 24 hr clock eg. 0800 it
converts the time to a date. What am I ding wrong?

JE McGimpsey

You're doing nothing wrong - except for Text (which bypasses XL's entry
parser), the display format has no effect on how an entry is parsed.

For a way to accomplish what you're after, see

http://cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

In article ,
Armadillo wrote:

I have highlighted a block of cells and used format-cell-time to format for
time but when I try to type in a time using the 24 hr clock eg. 0800 it
converts the time to a date. What am I ding wrong?

Bob Phillips

You need the colon, 08:00

--

HTH

RP

"Armadillo" wrote in message
I have highlighted a block of cells and used format-cell-time to format

for
time but when I try to type in a time using the 24 hr clock eg. 0800 it
converts the time to a date. What am I ding wrong?

Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:53:02 -0700, Armadillo
wrote:

I have highlighted a block of cells and used format-cell-time to format for
time but when I try to type in a time using the 24 hr clock eg. 0800 it
converts the time to a date. What am I ding wrong?

You are missing the concept that formatting the cell for time only affects how
the contents of the cell are DISPLAYED. The format has nothing to do with how
Excel parses your entry.

You either have to add the colon when you type, eg: 08:00, or somehow convert
0800 to an Excel time.

One method of converting the 24 hr times into "Excel times" is to use this
formula in an adjacent cell:

=--TEXT(A1,"00\:00")

and ensure the cell with this formula IS formatted as time.

--ron

Barb R.

Enter the time as 0:08:00?