-   -   Cannot access a file -- HELP (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/30924-cannot-access-file-help.html)

Steve

Cannot access a file -- HELP

I have this problem at work (using Excel 2000 Windows 2000) and at home
(Excel 2003, Windows XP Pro). SOMETIMES...not always, I try to access a file
on a network drive I get the message: "path..filename could not be found.
Check the spelling of the file name and verify that the file location is
correct". Once I get the message on that file, I always get it on the
file....but there might be 27 others in the same folder that I can open. And
I get the message if I try to open the file via explorer or via Excel. If I
copy the file to my C: drive it opens fine. I even tried to copy to the c:
drive, delete it off of the network drive and then copy back to the network
drive and I get the same message. I'm stumped.

Earl Kiosterud

Steve,

Sounds as if you're opening it from a folder. Try opening it inside Excel
(File - Open).
--
Earl Kiosterud

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]