-   -   How do I insert hypens in existing column representing social sec. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3082-how-do-i-insert-hypens-existing-column-representing-social-sec.html)

hard head

How do I insert hypens in existing column representing social sec.

I need to insert two hyphens in an existing column of numbers (represents
social security numbers) in Excel, i.e. xxx-xx-xxxx. Is there a formual that
will accomplish this?

Peo Sjoblom

Yes, in US excel there is a ssn format under formatcellsnumberspecial
it looks like

000-00-0000

that assumes that your data are numbers and not text

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom