-   -   Can I open a spreadsheet If I don't have excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/30258-can-i-open-spreadsheet-if-i-dont-have-excel.html)

Dorothy Rowland

Can I open a spreadsheet If I don't have excel

My friend sent me a spreadsheet....but I dont have excel.
How can I open it.
thanks
sincerely,
Dottie

Norman Jones

Hi Dorothy,

If you do not have Excel, you can download an Excel viewer from Microsoft.

The viewer will allow you to read but not edit a workbook.The viewer is
freely downloadable from:

http://tinyurl.com/54tzl

Another possibility would be to download the freely available OpenOffice
suite which can read and write Excel workbooks. The download is 60MB
(IIRC), but the suite can also be obtained on CD.
For OpenOffice go to:

http://www.openoffice.org/

A third possibility would be to purchase a cheap copy of an earlier XL
version - say XL2K - at Ebay.

---
Regards,
Norman