-   -   Using formatted cells in formulas (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/29552-using-formatted-cells-formulas.html)

Frank Marousek

Using formatted cells in formulas

I have been provided a worksheet with a list of 5-digit part numbers that
the creator of the worksheet formatted as zip code to preserve leading
zeros. I need to use these cells in a formula which uses the "&" operator to
tack on a suffix. For example:

Original part number cell A1 = 2345 (with zip code formatting displays as
02345)

I need cell A2 to be 02345XX, so I'm using the following formula: A1&"XX".

Problem is, when I do this, Excel drops the leading zero and displays
2345XX. Is there a way to have Excel use the formatted display string for
cell A1 instead of the underlying numeric value?

Earl Kiosterud

Frank,

Use something like

=TEXT(A1, "00000") & "XX"

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Frank Marousek" wrote in message
I have been provided a worksheet with a list of 5-digit part numbers that
the creator of the worksheet formatted as zip code to preserve leading
zeros. I need to use these cells in a formula which uses the "&" operator
tack on a suffix. For example:

Original part number cell A1 = 2345 (with zip code formatting displays as
02345)

I need cell A2 to be 02345XX, so I'm using the following formula: A1&"XX".

Problem is, when I do this, Excel drops the leading zero and displays
2345XX. Is there a way to have Excel use the formatted display string for
cell A1 instead of the underlying numeric value?

swatsp0p

Excel is simply displaying the zeros, which are not really there (try
=Len(A1) to see). Using that principle, we can test the length of A1
and add zeros as needed:

in cell A2:
=IF(LEN(A1)=4,"0"&A1&"XX",IF(LEN(A1)=3,"00"&A1&"XX ",A1&"XX"))

I am assuming no part code number is fewer than three 'true' digits
(00123)

HTH

--
swatsp0p