-   -   update links (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/29460-update-links.html)

ynissel

update links

I have a few users that are annoyed that every time they open a specific file
I created with links and marcos - they have to click the message box to
update links. Is there a way that the links are updated automatically
without prompting ?
Thanks,
Yosef

Dave Peterson

Saved from a similar question:

You can toggle the setting (user by user, though) via:

Tools|Options|Edit Tab.
There's a checkmark for "ask to update automatic links"

But this means that you suppress the question--the links still get updated.

This setting is for the individual user--and affects all their workbooks.

If you want more control:
Try creating a dummy workbook whose only purpose is to open the original
workbook with links updated:

Kind of like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls", UpdateLinks:=1
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

Then you open the dummy workbook and the links will be refreshed.
(read about that UpdateLinks argument in VBA's help.)

--

Dave Peterson

ynissel

Thanks Dave - can this be done with an automatic marco to run as soon as you
open the file so I dont have to force them to open a different document ?

ynissel wrote:

I have a few users that are annoyed that every time they open a specific
file
I created with links and marcos - they have to click the message box to
update links. Is there a way that the links are updated automatically
without prompting ?
Thanks,
Yosef

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

The link prompt appears before your code starts. So the code can't be in the
workbook with the links.