-   -   Excel - easy summary (I hope !) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/29451-excel-easy-summary-i-hope.html)

Vince281

Excel - easy summary (I hope !)

Hi All
I need to summarise the total of entries for a particular day in a
table like this :

Date Sale
June 01 50.00
June 01 50.00
June 03 60.00
June 03 20.00
Etc.

How do I get just today's sales ? i.e. I just want to have a cell like
this :

Today's sales are : 80.00

(as today is June 3rd).

Been looking at COUNTIF but just can't work it out. :confused:
Do I need to do a range somehow ? Help much appreciated !

--
Vince281
Vince281's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24084

barrfly

have you tried the function sumif?

the criteria is
range
criteria
sumrange

range - select the column that has the dates of all the sales
criteria - select the one cell that has todays date (set cell value to
=today() )
sumrange - select the column next to the date range that has sales

to get the outcome that you were looking for select an empty cell and
type
="today's seles are "&C2)

where C2 is the cell with the sumif function

--
barrfly

Excel User - Energy markets
barrfly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4141
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376893

JE McGimpsey

One way:

="Today's sales a " & TEXT(SUMIF(A:A,TODAY(),B:B),"00.00")

In article ,
Vince281
wrote:

Hi All
I need to summarise the total of entries for a particular day in a
table like this :

Date Sale
June 01 50.00
June 01 50.00
June 03 60.00
June 03 20.00
Etc.

How do I get just today's sales ? i.e. I just want to have a cell like
this :

Today's sales are : 80.00

(as today is June 3rd).

Been looking at COUNTIF but just can't work it out. :confused:
Do I need to do a range somehow ? Help much appreciated !

Peo Sjoblom

=SUMIF(A2:A20,"="&TODAY(),B2:B20)

however that assumes that the "dates" are real excel dates and not text

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A20=TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd")),B2:B20)

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Vince281" wrote in
message ...

Hi All
I need to summarise the total of entries for a particular day in a
table like this :

Date Sale
June 01 50.00
June 01 50.00
June 03 60.00
June 03 20.00
Etc.

How do I get just today's sales ? i.e. I just want to have a cell like
this :

Today's sales are : 80.00

(as today is June 3rd).

Been looking at COUNTIF but just can't work it out. :confused:
Do I need to do a range somehow ? Help much appreciated !

--
Vince281
Vince281's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376893

Vince281

Worked a treat. Thanks for amazingly quick suggestion.