-   -   "If" Formulas (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/28070-%22if%22-formulas.html)

Steve

"If" Formulas

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that asks "yes" or "no" questions. I want to assign a
value of 1 to all yes reponses and a value of 0 for all no responses. I also
want to tabulate these (yes responses). I also want to be able to include a
"Y" response as well as a "Yes" response to be the same value (1).

Any help out there?

Thanks,

Steve

Bob Umlas

=sumproduct(--(left(A1:A100,1)="y"))

Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"Steve" wrote in message

I have a spreadsheet that asks "yes" or "no" questions. I want to assign
value of 1 to all yes reponses and a value of 0 for all no responses. I
also
want to tabulate these (yes responses). I also want to be able to include
"Y" response as well as a "Yes" response to be the same value (1).

Any help out there?

Thanks,

Steve

CLR

Assuming your data is in column A, put this formula in B1 and copy
=IF(OR(A1="Yes",A1="Y"),1,IF(OR(A1="No",A1="N"),0, ""))

Then, wherever you want the total count of positives..........put
=COUNTIF(A:A,"Yes")+COUNTIF(A:A,"Y")

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3