-   -   .xls file won't open (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/2780-xls-file-wont-open.html)

Ritzncarlie

.xls file won't open

Properties for the file now look different than other .xls files.... Under
the General tab is shows MS Excel Worksheet, but there is a Version tab that
shows: Description: Windows Picture & Fax Viewer; Internal Name:
ShImgVw.dll
It's a file I use constantly, and my latest backup is also corrupted.
Any ideas on recovery or hidden places to look for the 'real' file?

Dave Peterson

I'd try to reregister excel so that it can take back its associations:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

If that fails (but I bet it doesn't!), maybe you can do the reassignment
manually.

Windows explorer
find a .xls file
shift-right click on it
choose "Open with"
Browse to excel.exe (if it's not in the list)
And make sure you have that little box at the bottom checked--to use this
program for that extension.

--

Dave Peterson

Ritzncarlie

The manual reassignment didn't work. Excel opens, but the file doesn't.
On the reregister suggestion: I clicked Start, then Run and where it says
'Open' I put in excel /unregserver .... Excel opened and gave an error
message 'unregserver.xls' can't be found

Ritzncarlie wrote:

Properties for the file now look different than other .xls files.... Under
the General tab is shows MS Excel Worksheet, but there is a Version tab that
shows: Description: Windows Picture & Fax Viewer; Internal Name:
ShImgVw.dll
It's a file I use constantly, and my latest backup is also corrupted.
Any ideas on recovery or hidden places to look for the 'real' file?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I bet you used the backslash instead of the slash.

You may want to just copy|paste from the posting.