-   -   Calculate elasped time (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/27302-calculate-elasped-time.html)

natvsi

Calculate elasped time

I need a formula that will calulate the amount of elapsed time.
I'm tracking the amount of time the project took from one department to the
next.
For example...
Job 1234 went in department A on 4/22/05 at 3:30 p.m. and left the
department on 4/25/05 at noon. We work eight hour days (8am to 5pm) so the
project was in department A for 5.5 hours.
How do I subtract out the non-working hours? I've tried the networkdays and
holidays functions, but they don't work.

N Harkawat

Working from 8 to 5 pm actually means 9 hours of actual work and not 8 as
mentioned by you below
Assuming that this is the order your data is entered

Col A - 4/22/05
Col B - 15:30
Col C - 4/25/05
Col D - 12:00

The actual work hours in col E thru this formula
=(NETWORKDAYS(A1,C1)-1)*9+((D1-B1)*24)

"natvsi" wrote in message
I need a formula that will calulate the amount of elapsed time.
I'm tracking the amount of time the project took from one department to
the
next.
For example...
Job 1234 went in department A on 4/22/05 at 3:30 p.m. and left the
department on 4/25/05 at noon. We work eight hour days (8am to 5pm) so
the
project was in department A for 5.5 hours.
How do I subtract out the non-working hours? I've tried the networkdays
and
holidays functions, but they don't work.

Gary's Student

What granularity do you need? To the half-hour or to the minute?
--
Gary's Student

"natvsi" wrote:

I need a formula that will calulate the amount of elapsed time.
I'm tracking the amount of time the project took from one department to the
next.
For example...
Job 1234 went in department A on 4/22/05 at 3:30 p.m. and left the
department on 4/25/05 at noon. We work eight hour days (8am to 5pm) so the
project was in department A for 5.5 hours.
How do I subtract out the non-working hours? I've tried the networkdays and
holidays functions, but they don't work.

natvsi

To the minute.