-   -   Replace multiples from a list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/27172-replace-multiples-list.html)

James

Replace multiples from a list

Hello,

I have a list of categories in one column incrementally numbered in the next
column, and on another sheet I have the same categories listed with different
products.

In the sheet with products, I want to replace each instance of the category
name with it's corresponding number from the first list.

Yes - I can simply use Find/Replace for each category, but this would take a
long time with all the information, so I'd rather build a function (VLOOKUP?)
to do it all at once.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

bigwheel

"James" wrote:

Hello,

I have a list of categories in one column incrementally numbered in the next
column, and on another sheet I have the same categories listed with different
products.

In the sheet with products, I want to replace each instance of the category
name with it's corresponding number from the first list.

Yes - I can simply use Find/Replace for each category, but this would take a
long time with all the information, so I'd rather build a function (VLOOKUP?)
to do it all at once.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

OK insert a new column on your second sheet, then put a formula similar to
this in the first cell (sheet name as yours is named)
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$5,2)
then copy the formula down the column as many times as is required.