-   -   Adding + in front of a number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/2700-adding-front-number.html)

Ted Metro

Adding + in front of a number

I have a column of numbers which represent a change in value over the
previous year. I want to have a + in front of the number if it's a positive
change.
Let's say my first number is 500.

My problem is that I can write something like, if(a10,"+"&a1), but when
then I can't format the number.

If the number is in the millions I can't provide a comma as a thousand
separator and I cannot tell it how many decimal places I want to show. Is
there a really easy way to do that, or do I have to write a huge formula to
precisely spell out the formatting within the formula?

Frank Kabel

Hi
try a custom format such as:
+0.00;-0.00;0.00

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
"Ted Metro" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a column of numbers which represent a change in value over the
previous year. I want to have a + in front of the number if it's a
positive
change.
Let's say my first number is 500.

My problem is that I can write something like, if(a10,"+"&a1), but when
then I can't format the number.

If the number is in the millions I can't provide a comma as a thousand
separator and I cannot tell it how many decimal places I want to show. Is
there a really easy way to do that, or do I have to write a huge formula
precisely spell out the formatting within the formula?

Jason Morin

Custom format your cells as:

+#,##0;-#,##0;0;@

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I have a column of numbers which represent a change in

value over the
previous year. I want to have a + in front of the

number if it's a positive
change.
Let's say my first number is 500.

My problem is that I can write something like, if

(a10,"+"&a1), but when
then I can't format the number.

If the number is in the millions I can't provide a comma

as a thousand
separator and I cannot tell it how many decimal places I

want to show. Is
there a really easy way to do that, or do I have to

write a huge formula to
precisely spell out the formatting within the formula?
.

Ted Metro

you guys rule. Thanks Jason!!!

Thanks Frank!!