-   -   VLookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/264058-vlookup.html)

slhaye

VLookup

When I type in the VLookup formula and hit enter, the cell will not display
the result - it displays the formula. Then, when I copy it to the cells
below, none of the cell references change.

Here is the formula: =VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet1!A:B,2,false)

I made this same formula in an older file and it worked fine. Why won't it
work in this new spreadsheet? I think something happened to the settings,
but I don't know where to go to fix it.

Dave Peterson[_2_]

VLookup

If you're seeing the formula and not the results of the formula, it could be:

1. The cell is formatted as Text.
Reformat the cell as General (or anything but text)
Hit F2, then Enter to "re-enter" the formula.

2. You're looking at formulas.
In xl2003 menus, tools|Options|View tab|Uncheck Formulas

In any version of excel, hit:
ctrl-`
(ctrl-backquote, the key to the left of the 1/! on my USA keyboard)

On 05/18/2010 14:49, slhaye wrote:
When I type in the VLookup formula and hit enter, the cell will not display
the result - it displays the formula. Then, when I copy it to the cells
below, none of the cell references change.

Here is the formula: =VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet1!A:B,2,false)

I made this same formula in an older file and it worked fine. Why won't it
work in this new spreadsheet? I think something happened to the settings,
but I don't know where to go to fix it.

Gord Dibben

VLookup

Couple of possibles.

1. The cell was pre-formatted as Text.

Format to General and re-enter.

2. You are in Formula View.

Hit CRTL + `(backquote above Tab key)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 18 May 2010 12:49:01 -0700, slhaye
wrote:

When I type in the VLookup formula and hit enter, the cell will not display
the result - it displays the formula. Then, when I copy it to the cells
below, none of the cell references change.

Here is the formula: =VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet1!A:B,2,false)

I made this same formula in an older file and it worked fine. Why won't it
work in this new spreadsheet? I think something happened to the settings,
but I don't know where to go to fix it.

MimiS

VLookup

The cell is probably formatted as text. reformat to General or number. hit
F2 and enter and it should produce result of formula.

"slhaye" wrote:

When I type in the VLookup formula and hit enter, the cell will not display
the result - it displays the formula. Then, when I copy it to the cells
below, none of the cell references change.

Here is the formula: =VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet1!A:B,2,false)

I made this same formula in an older file and it worked fine. Why won't it
work in this new spreadsheet? I think something happened to the settings,
but I don't know where to go to fix it.

slhaye

VLookup

I did have it formatted correctly. When you suggested to hit F2 - - it worked!
Thank you!!

"slhaye" wrote:

When I type in the VLookup formula and hit enter, the cell will not display
the result - it displays the formula. Then, when I copy it to the cells
below, none of the cell references change.

Here is the formula: =VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet1!A:B,2,false)

I made this same formula in an older file and it worked fine. Why won't it
work in this new spreadsheet? I think something happened to the settings,
but I don't know where to go to fix it.

slhaye

VLookup

It was formatted as General, but it did not work until I hit F2. Not sure
how F2 made it work - - but it did. Thank you!

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

[...]

.

Gord Dibben

VLookup

You were told by Dave and myself to "re-enter" the formula.

F2 puts you in editing mode. Then Enter re-enters the formula.

Gord