-   -   Excel close on startup, but stay in task manager (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/263998-excel-close-startup-but-stay-task-manager.html)

Thomas

Excel close on startup, but stay in task manager

Some of my users complains about problems opening Excel documents. About 2
sec. after they open a document it close automatically. I have found out that
the excel.exe process stay as an active task and can be closed from the task
manager.
It is not happening every time but almost! I have tried starting Excel in
safemode, but with same result :-(

3 out of 18 users having this problem and are all are running Windows Vista.

Any ides troubleshooting this matter?

Reg

Excel close on startup, but stay in task manager

look for rougue files in Start folder

disable all add-ins

is it ALL documents or just some? alwys the same user

hth
RegMigrant

"Thomas" wrote:

Some of my users complains about problems opening Excel documents. About 2
sec. after they open a document it look close automatically. I have found out that
the excel.exe process stay as an active task and can be closed from the task
manager.
It is not happening every time but almost! I have tried starting Excel in
safemode, but with same result :-(

3 out of 18 users having this problem and are all are running Windows Vista.

Any ides troubleshooting this matter?

bala_vb

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reg (Post 954608)

"Thomas" wrote:

Some of my users complains about problems opening Excel documents. About 2
sec. after they open a document it look close automatically. I have found out that
the excel.exe process stay as an active task and can be closed from the task
manager.
It is not happening every time but almost! I have tried starting Excel in
safemode, but with same result :-(

3 out of 18 users having this problem and are all are running Windows Vista.

Any ides troubleshooting this matter?

Can you check is there any log message?

try to search by "*" in mentioned path:

*CrashReporter/Microsoft
Excel.crash.log

Thomas

Excel close on startup, but stay in task manager

Hi.

Thank you for you reply.

I have even seen it with a blank document! I have the problem on three
diffrend machines. But it does not happen every time. It seems really weird.