-   -   Using "track changes" to revert to a previous save (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/26372-using-%22track-changes%22-revert-previous-save.html)

Sean Carter

Using "track changes" to revert to a previous save

Hi,

I use a shared spreadsheet that tracks changes for 30 days. End of the
month I perform a save as and store the old file from the previous month for
our records. This month I accidentally just hit save and didn't realize I
didn't have a copy from April till a few days later. Is there a way to
revert my spreadsheet to reflect what it was on the 30th of April and then do
a save as at that point?

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Carter

anyone?

Alan

"Sean Carter" <Sean wrote in message

I use a shared spreadsheet that tracks changes for 30 days. End of
the month I perform a save as and store the old file from the
previous month for our records. This month I accidentally just hit
save and didn't realize I didn't have a copy from April till a few
days later. Is there a way to revert my spreadsheet to reflect what
it was on the 30th of April and then do a save as at that point?

Thanks,
Sean

Hi Sean,

I looked into that a while back and couldn't find an answer - doesn't
mean it cannot be done, just that I failed to find a way.

For future reference, perhaps you could write some code that keeps a
track of each change 'manually' (via VBA, not using the track changes
funtionality). You could then build a 'roll back' function around
that record of changes.

I thought about it, but couldn't justify the time for me to work it
out. It may be easy coding, but I am not expert enough.

HTH,

Alan.

Sean Carter

Thanks for your reply Alan. I don't know a whole lot about Excel beyond it's
basic spreadsheet features and little shortcuts I learn here and there, So
I'm not really up to writing any kind of code. ;)
Looks like I'll check with the IT guy and see if he knows a way to do it.
If I find out anything from him I'll post back the info here so you can take
a look.

Thanks again,
Sean