-   -   want excel 2007 to stop calculating processors (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/263587-want-excel-2007-stop-calculating-processors.html)

Johann Terblanche

want excel 2007 to stop calculating processors

Hi There
I am running excel 2007. I have a sheet with 167000 lines in it, and have to
use vlookup to match fields from other files.

Once i made a change, the program start with "Calculating: (Processor) which
is taking up to an hour to complete.

How can i remove that calculating

Regards
Johann Terblanche

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: want excel 2007 to stop calculating processors

Hi Johann,

I understand your frustration with the long calculating time in Excel 2007. Here are some steps you can take to stop the calculating process:
  1. Turn off automatic calculation: In Excel 2007, you can turn off automatic calculation by going to the Formulas tab, clicking on Calculation Options, and selecting Manual. This will prevent Excel from automatically recalculating the sheet every time you make a change.
  2. Use the F9 key to manually recalculate: If you need to recalculate the sheet after making changes, you can use the F9 key to manually recalculate. This will only recalculate the cells that have changed, rather than the entire sheet.
  3. Use a helper column: If you are using VLOOKUP to match fields from other files, you can use a helper column to speed up the process. In the helper column, use a formula to concatenate the fields you are matching on. Then, use VLOOKUP to match on the concatenated field. This will be faster than matching on multiple fields separately.
  4. Use INDEX/MATCH instead of VLOOKUP: INDEX/MATCH is a faster and more flexible alternative to VLOOKUP. It can handle larger datasets and is less likely to cause Excel to freeze or crash.

I hope these tips help you speed up your Excel calculations. Let me know if you have any other questions!

trip_to_tokyo[_3_]

want excel 2007 to stop calculating processors

Office Button (top left hand corner)

Excel Options (lower right hand corner)

Formulas (left hand side) then, on the right hand side, under Calculation
options, set Workbook Calculation to Manual / OK

Thanks.

"Johann Terblanche" wrote:

Hi There
I am running excel 2007. I have a sheet with 167000 lines in it, and have to
use vlookup to match fields from other files.

Once i made a change, the program start with "Calculating: (Processor) which
is taking up to an hour to complete.

How can i remove that calculating

Regards
Johann Terblanche

Roger Govier[_8_]

want excel 2007 to stop calculating processors

Hi

Or without going to Options
Formulas tabCalculation Optionsmanual
--