-   -   Vlookup with Multiple Rows to match with one row (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/263558-vlookup-multiple-rows-match-one-row.html)

Motaad

Vlookup with Multiple Rows to match with one row

I am trying to match a one record to a list with multiple like records and
only retrieve from the first record:

Record 1 Jim Smith

look up to Record 2

Record 2 Jim Smith Nice Guy
Record 2 Jim Smith Not so Nice Guy

In otherwords when I do my vlookup
VLOOKUP(B12,'Overall Transformations '!A:Y,17,0) it sees the two records in
record 2 and brings back N/A#.

How do I tell it to bring back the first instance that it sees with Jim
Smith Nice Guy?

--
Motaad

L. Howard Kittle

Vlookup with Multiple Rows to match with one row

Me thinks something else is causing the #N/A.

If you have two Jim Smith's in the lookup array, it should return the first
one only and not "see" the second one.

(I assume the N/A# in your post is a typo)

Might not really have a match...? Spaces or something like that.

HTH
Regards,
Howard