-   -   Check if variable is range (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/263362-check-if-variable-range.html)

Michiel via OfficeKB.com

Check if variable is range

This is probably very simple but I just don't see it.

How can I see if a (variant) variable is a range or something else (e.g. a
string)

Sub WhatIsIt()
Dim vrString As Variant
Dim vrRange1 As Variant
Dim vrRange2 As Variant

vrString = "This is a string"
Set vrRange1 = Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 2)) 'Note TWO cells included
Set vrRange2 = Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 1)) 'Note ONE cell included

'vrString.copy will not work since vrString is a string
'vrRange1.copy will work since vrRange1 is a range
'vrRange2.copy will work since vrRange1 is a range

'If isarray(vrString) then vrString.copy will work since vrString is not an
array
'If isarray(vrRange1) then vrRange1.copy will work since vrRange1 is an
array
'If isarray(vrRange2) then vrRange2.copy will work since vrRange2 is NOT an
array

End Sub

Any ideas?

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Check if variable is range

To check if a variant variable is a range, you can use the VBA function TypeName. Here's an example:

Formula:

Sub CheckIfRange()

Dim myVar As Variant
    Set myVar
Range("A1:B2")

    If
TypeName(myVar) = "Range" Then
        MsgBox
"The variable is a range."

Else

MsgBox "The variable is not a range."

End If
End Sub

In this example, we create a variant variable called myVar and set it equal to a range of cells. We then use the TypeName function to check if myVar is a range. If it is, we display a message box saying so. If it's not, we display a message box saying that it's not a range.
  1. Create a variant variable called myVar.
  2. Set myVar equal to a range of cells using the Range function.
  3. Use the TypeName function to check if myVar is a range.
  4. Display a message box indicating whether or not myVar is a range.

Note that the TypeName function will return the data type of any variable, not just ranges. So if you want to check for other data types, you can modify the code accordingly.

Dave Peterson

Check if variable is range

Maybe you could use:

MsgBox TypeName(vrString)

[...]