-   -   leading zeros in excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/26269-leading-zeros-excel.html)

kiwi

leading zeros in excel

I need to display leading zeros in whole numbers eg 05324

Bob Phillips

Format as 00000

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"kiwi" wrote in message
I need to display leading zeros in whole numbers eg 05324

David McRitchie

If that is for a US zip code, they really should be
formatted as text then they can also be consistent with
zip+4 codes as well, and with codes used in other
countries as well. Format as text is best, or precede
with a single quote.

If they aren't going to be treated arithmetically then they
probably should not be treated as numbers. Credit cards
for instance are usually 16 digits and Excel only provides
for 15 digits so they have to be entered as text or you
end up with bad data.

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message ...
Format as 00000

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"kiwi" wrote in message
I need to display leading zeros in whole numbers eg 05324

Don 1

You can also format the cell as 'TEXT' and display leading zeros.
Don 1