-   -   sum function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/261778-sum-function.html)

Vijay Dhawan

sum function

Hi,

How can I sum the numbers in a column in Excel where some numbers carry a
"<" sign in front of them (such as <1) and I want to include numbers such
"<1" in calculation as "1".

For Example if numbers are entered as follows

0.5
<1
0.5

I would like to value to be returned as "2" when I apply "sum" function.

Thanks

David Biddulph[_2_]

sum function

=SUM(IF(LEFT(A2:A4)="<",--RIGHT(A2:A4,LEN(A2:A4)-1),A2:A4)) as an array
formula (Control Shift Enter).
--
David Biddulph

"Vijay Dhawan" <Vijay wrote in message

How can I sum the numbers in a column in Excel where some numbers carry a
"<" sign in front of them (such as <1) and I want to include numbers such
"<1" in calculation as "1".

For Example if numbers are entered as follows

0.5
<1
0.5

I would like to value to be returned as "2" when I apply "sum" function.

Thanks

T. Valko

sum function

Try this array formula** :

=SUM(IF(LEFT(A2:A10)="<",--MID(A2:A10,2,10),A2:A10))

key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Vijay Dhawan" <Vijay wrote in message

How can I sum the numbers in a column in Excel where some numbers carry a
"<" sign in front of them (such as <1) and I want to include numbers such
"<1" in calculation as "1".

For Example if numbers are entered as follows

0.5
<1
0.5

I would like to value to be returned as "2" when I apply "sum" function.

Thanks

Sheeloo

sum function

Try the array formula (press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER after typing/pasting the formula)
=SUM(IF(LEFT(A1:A3,1)="<",MID(A1:A3,2,255)*1,A1:A3 ))

Adjust the range A1:A3 to the data you have. I have assumed that you have to
check for < sign only.

"Vijay Dhawan" wrote:

Hi,

How can I sum the numbers in a column in Excel where some numbers carry a
"<" sign in front of them (such as <1) and I want to include numbers such
"<1" in calculation as "1".

For Example if numbers are entered as follows

0.5
<1
0.5

I would like to value to be returned as "2" when I apply "sum" function.

Thanks

Teethless mama

sum function

=SUMPRODUCT(--(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A3,"<1",1)))

"Vijay Dhawan" wrote:

Hi,

How can I sum the numbers in a column in Excel where some numbers carry a
"<" sign in front of them (such as <1) and I want to include numbers such
"<1" in calculation as "1".

For Example if numbers are entered as follows

0.5
<1
0.5

I would like to value to be returned as "2" when I apply "sum" function.

Thanks

Sheeloo

sum function

Hello Mama,

It is nice to see, after a long time, me, you, David and Biff responding to
the same post...

Vijay might have a <2 or <11 in his data...