-   -   Forumla Needed: Text or Number Format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/260796-forumla-needed-text-number-format.html)

CM4@FL[_2_]

Forumla Needed: Text or Number Format

What is the forumla that allows tells you if data is in text or number
format. I remember using it before but can't seem to remember it?

Gary''s Student

Forumla Needed: Text or Number Format

=IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"number","text")

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן

Forumla Needed: Text or Number Format

If I understood correctly - it might be:
=ISTEXT(A1)
=ISNUMBER(A1)
Micky

"CM4@FL" wrote:

What is the forumla that allows tells you if data is in text or number
format. I remember using it before but can't seem to remember it?

מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן

Forumla Needed: Text or Number Format

OR, maybe: =CELL("type",A4)
*** browse the 'Help' to learn about that function ***
Micky

"CM4@FL" wrote:

What is the forumla that allows tells you if data is in text or number
format. I remember using it before but can't seem to remember it?

David Biddulph[_2_]

Forumla Needed: Text or Number Format

Either that, or your previous suggestion of ISNUMBER or ISTEXT, will tell
you whether the cell CONTENT is number or text, but if the OP wants to know
whether the cell FORMAT is number or text, perhaps =CELL("format",A4)?

Remember that a cell may have text as a content, but be formatted as number,
or vice versa.
--
David Biddulph

"CM4@FL" wrote:

What is the forumla that allows tells you if data is in text or number
format. I remember using it before but can't seem to remember it?

מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן

Forumla Needed: Text or Number Format

Well..., I formatted cell A1 as TEXT and typed: Bla bla.
The formula: =CELL("format",A1) - returns: G
I don't remember that there is an 'Info_type' checking for Text Format.
I might be mistaken...
Micky

"CM4@FL" wrote:

What is the forumla that allows tells you if data is in text or number
format. I remember using it before but can't seem to remember it?

.

David Biddulph[_2_]

Forumla Needed: Text or Number Format

Formatting as number, =CELL("format",A1) doesn't return G, but, for example,
F2 if 2 decimal places (even if the content is text).