-   -   Sort Warning disabled? Need to enable it (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/260451-sort-warning-disabled-need-enable.html)

gnat

Sort Warning disabled? Need to enable it

I am trying to Sort from A-Z, but the normal warning to expand the selection
does not appear? Is there some way to enable this or work around it to
filter the entire document by the column I choose?

Luke M[_4_]

Sort Warning disabled? Need to enable it

Select all of your data before sorting. The warning only appears (sometimes)
if XL can easily detect that you ahve adjacent data.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"gnat" wrote in message
I am trying to Sort from A-Z, but the normal warning to expand the
selection
does not appear? Is there some way to enable this or work around it to
filter the entire document by the column I choose?

Gord Dibben

Sort Warning disabled? Need to enable it

Do you have any blank columns?

Excel will only ask to expand if it notices adjacent data, otherwise it just
picks the current region.

I never leave it up to Excel in any case.

Pre-select all columns you want included in the sort.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:41:01 -0700, gnat
wrote:

I am trying to Sort from A-Z, but the normal warning to expand the selection
does not appear? Is there some way to enable this or work around it to
filter the entire document by the column I choose?

Vish[_3_]

Sort Warning disabled? Need to enable it

Thanks Gord, it worked for me. Some time we try to find out settings instead of pre-requisite of the required functionality..I was so spend a lot of time to do r & d to find out settings :)

Thanks again

Once More

On Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 10:11:01 PM UTC+5:30, gnat wrote:
I am trying to Sort from A-Z, but the normal warning to expand the selection
does not appear? Is there some way to enable this or work around it to
filter the entire document by the column I choose?

If you facing same problem in 2021 then it is because you are working on table format

Solution :

Clear "Table Format" and then apply "sort" . The sort warning will be pop up