-   -   Locking from data entry but allowing oulining to function? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/259985-locking-data-entry-but-allowing-oulining-function.html)

saharafrog

Locking from data entry but allowing oulining to function?

I would like to lock a set of rows and columns, but still allow the users to
use the grouping I have set on various spreadsheets. Is this possible? If
so, how to make it work, current if I lock any posrtion of the page, then
thry to use the grouping buttons... they tell me the data is locked and
protected.

Gord Dibben

Locking from data entry but allowing oulining to function?

You must have the DataGroup and Outline area pre-set.

Then you add event code to the worksheet module.

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
With Me
.Protect Password:="justme", userinterfaceonly:=True
.EnableOutlining = True
End With
End Sub

This will allow showing and hiding detail on a protected sheet.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP