-   -   Transpose Large Column to Row (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/259456-transpose-large-column-row.html)

Doan Winkel[_2_]

Transpose Large Column to Row

Hi -

I have a column with about 25,000+ rows in Excel 2007, and need to somehow
get this transposed into a row (so with 25,000+ columns). I have tried to do
this with the TRANSPOSE function using Ctrl-C and using the Paste drop-down
menu and selecting the Transpose option. But I get an error message that the
copy area and paste area are not the same size. I presume this is because I
cannot paste across 25,000+ columns?

Basically, in the end, what I want to have is a list of each cell with a
semicolon after each but am just not sure how to do this. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Doan

Alejandro Medinilla elMedex

Transpose Large Column to Row

Hello

Have you tried with Concatenate formula??

lets pretend that you have all your values in colum A
from A1 to A[N]
so on B1 use this fomula

=A1
and on b2 this one
=CONCATENATE(B1,";",A2)
and copy the formula until B[N]

so you have an output like this
A B
1 a a
2 b a;b
3 c a;b;c
4 d a;b;c;d
5 e a;b;c;d;e
6 f a;b;c;d;e;f

Hope it works

Regards

elMedex
"Doan Winkel" wrote:

Hi -

I have a column with about 25,000+ rows in Excel 2007, and need to somehow
get this transposed into a row (so with 25,000+ columns). I have tried to do
this with the TRANSPOSE function using Ctrl-C and using the Paste drop-down
menu and selecting the Transpose option. But I get an error message that the
copy area and paste area are not the same size. I presume this is because I
cannot paste across 25,000+ columns?

Basically, in the end, what I want to have is a list of each cell with a
semicolon after each but am just not sure how to do this. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Doan

Roger Govier[_8_]

Transpose Large Column to Row

Hi Doan

XL2007 has a limit of 16,384 columns so you cannot do that.

You could select 16,000 rows, copyPatse SpecialTranspose and then
select the other 9,000 rows and do the same thing on a different row.
--
Regards
Roger Govier