-   -   Calculate age (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/259416-calculate-age.html)

Chris Waller

Calculate age

I have an Excel Spreadsheet that contains a column of dates of birth in the
format of dd/mm/yy. Across row 1 I have the current year in column "C"
followed by 2011 in column "D" etc. What I am trying to do is calculate the
ages of all the people using the year of their birth and the years that
appear in row 1. I have posted this previously to this discussion group, but
I do not seem able to find the posting now. Thanks in advance.

lorgeron

Calculate age

If you use Jan-20xx for the value in row 1, you can then subtract the date
in column A from the value in Row 1 Column B, and divide by 365 this will
give you their age.
"Chris waller" wrote:

I have an Excel Spreadsheet that contains a column of dates of birth in the
format of dd/mm/yy. Across row 1 I have the current year in column "C"
followed by 2011 in column "D" etc. What I am trying to do is calculate the
ages of all the people using the year of their birth and the years that
appear in row 1. I have posted this previously to this discussion group, but
I do not seem able to find the posting now. Thanks in advance.

Gord Dibben

Calculate age

Have a look at Chip Pearson's site for DATEDIF function.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:04:01 -0700, Chris waller
wrote:

I have an Excel Spreadsheet that contains a column of dates of birth in the
format of dd/mm/yy. Across row 1 I have the current year in column "C"
followed by 2011 in column "D" etc. What I am trying to do is calculate the
ages of all the people using the year of their birth and the years that
appear in row 1. I have posted this previously to this discussion group, but
I do not seem able to find the posting now. Thanks in advance.

Chip Pearson

Calculate age

You can use the undocumented DATEDIF function. If the date of birth is
in column A, use

=DATEDIF($A2,DATE(C$1,MONTH($A2),DAY($A2)),"y")

In C2 and fill across for as many columns that have the years and down
as many rows as you need to go. For more info about DATEDIF see
www.cpearson.com/Excel/DateDif.aspx

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,