-   -   In Excel, how do I sort a column by the LAST digit of the data? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/25925-excel-how-do-i-sort-column-last-digit-data.html)

DougMash

In Excel, how do I sort a column by the LAST digit of the data?

I need to sort a column of data by the LAST digit of the data. We add a
letter to the end of our catalog numbers to denote "new" (ie 012345-N) or
"used" (12345-U), and I'd love to be able to sort by that last digit. Thanks!

N Harkawat

Insert a column and copy this formula all the way down
=right(a1,1)
Now sort using this column as the first sort criterion and the original
column as the second sort criterion.

"DougMash" wrote in message
I need to sort a column of data by the LAST digit of the data. We add a
letter to the end of our catalog numbers to denote "new" (ie 012345-N) or
"used" (12345-U), and I'd love to be able to sort by that last digit.
Thanks!

PegL

One way: add a column which has the formula =right(a2,1) (assuming your data
is in column A, starting in row 2). Copy that down. If this is fairly
large, you might then do a copy;paste special values to get rid of the
formulas. Then sort on that column 1st, then the original column.