-   -   Adding amount from 1 colum depending on # piece amount in colum 2 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/259155-adding-amount-1-colum-depending-piece-amount-colum-2-a.html)

hotrodflatglass

Adding amount from 1 colum depending on # piece amount in colum 2

L8 through L14 has $amount, N8 through N14 has # of pieces. I need N15 to
have the total $amount.
Example

L8 N8
23.00 2
14.00 0
5.00 1

N!4
51.00
I have searched and found a few examples but had a lot more involvement
Thanks

Thanks
Mike

Russell Dawson[_2_]

Adding amount from 1 colum depending on # piece amount in colum 2

What you appear to be doing can be a very simple calculation of
=L8*N8+L9*N9+L10*N10 (in your given figures) but that is not a satisfactory
way to handle this problem.
You should be using a column which calculates the total value of each row
and then calculate the total at the bottom of the row.
So you would introduce a column P for instance - in P8 input =l8*n8
Copy that down to the extent of your range and in P15 input =sum(P8:P14)
This allows you to extend the range downwards without ever having to rethink
your calculations.
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"hotrodflatglass" wrote:

L8 through L14 has $amount, N8 through N14 has # of pieces. I need N15 to
have the total $amount.
Example

L8 N8
23.00 2
14.00 0
5.00 1

N!4
51.00
I have searched and found a few examples but had a lot more involvement
Thanks

Thanks
Mike

hotrodflatglass

Adding amount from 1 colum depending on # piece amount in colu

Russel N15 will have the total depending the number I put in N8 column
--
Thanks
Mike