-   -   Displaying cell contents (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/258092-displaying-cell-contents.html)

BlueAngel

Displaying cell contents

I have a spreadsheet that has a formula in it in cells C1:J50. The cells are
displaying 0 because there is nothing to calculate. How can I keep my
formula for calculating when actual numbers are entered but the display will
show an empty cell, not 0.

Thanks,

Blue Angel

Fred Smith[_4_]

Displaying cell contents

In your formulas you do some variation of this:
=if(a1="","",yourformula)

Regards,
Fred

"BlueAngel" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that has a formula in it in cells C1:J50. The cells
are
displaying 0 because there is nothing to calculate. How can I keep my
formula for calculating when actual numbers are entered but the display
will
show an empty cell, not 0.

Thanks,

Blue Angel

מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן

Displaying cell contents

The easiest way will be by de-selection 'Zero values' - in Tools Options
View tab.
The longest way will be by using an IF statement which checks the condition.
It should read something like:
=IF(<calculation=0,"",<calculation)
Micky

"BlueAngel" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that has a formula in it in cells C1:J50. The cells are
displaying 0 because there is nothing to calculate. How can I keep my
formula for calculating when actual numbers are entered but the display will
show an empty cell, not 0.

Thanks,

Blue Angel

zvkmpw

Displaying cell contents

The easiest way will be by de-selection 'Zero values' - in Tools Options
View tab.
The longest way will be by using an IF statement which checks the condition.
It should read something like:
=IF(<calculation=0,"",<calculation)

A third way is to use this for the relevant cells:
Format Cells Custom
with something like this for Type:
General;-General;
This way, you can be selective about which cells show zero values and
which ones don't.

If the appearance is all that matters, there's not much more to say.

But be careful if the cells are used for further computation, because
0 and "" don't behave the same. To see this, in column A put
2
0
4
and in column B put
=AVERAGE(A1:A3)
=SUM(A1:A3)
=A1+A2+A3
Notice what appears in column B.

Then change A2 from 0 to "" and notice what changes in column B.

So think about how the values will be used when selecting an approach.