-   -   Combine strings and numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/256790-combine-strings-numbers.html)

Alain Dekker

Combine strings and numbers

Hi,

Using Excel 97.

I'm trying to generate a list of costs of some stock items:
So I have columns:
Dollar_Symbol
Dollar_Amount
Dollar_Cents

eg.
Column A Column B Column C
Dollar_Symbol Dollar_Amount Dollar_Cents
$ 3 47
$ 12 09

etc

Now I want to concatenate these into a string ie. something like this:
A2+B2+"."+C2 (which should $3.47)
A3+B3+"."+C3 (which should $12.09)
but I can't get the formulas to work. I'm sure this is simple, I'll kick
myself later, I promise!

Thanks in advance,
Alain

Gary''s Student

Combine strings and numbers

=A2 & B2 & "." & C2
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן

Combine strings and numbers

Use: & instead of: +
Micky

"Alain Dekker" wrote:

Hi,

Using Excel 97.

I'm trying to generate a list of costs of some stock items:
So I have columns:
Dollar_Symbol
Dollar_Amount
Dollar_Cents

eg.
Column A Column B Column C
Dollar_Symbol Dollar_Amount Dollar_Cents
$ 3 47
$ 12 09

etc

Now I want to concatenate these into a string ie. something like this:
A2+B2+"."+C2 (which should $3.47)
A3+B3+"."+C3 (which should $12.09)
but I can't get the formulas to work. I'm sure this is simple, I'll kick
myself later, I promise!

Thanks in advance,
Alain

.

Don Guillett[_2_]

Combine strings and numbers

=A2&B2&"."&C2
or without the need for col A
$3.47

=DOLLAR(B2&"."&C2)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Alain Dekker" wrote in message

Using Excel 97.

I'm trying to generate a list of costs of some stock items:
So I have columns:
Dollar_Symbol
Dollar_Amount
Dollar_Cents

eg.
Column A Column B Column C
Dollar_Symbol Dollar_Amount Dollar_Cents
$ 3 47
$ 12 09

etc

Now I want to concatenate these into a string ie. something like this:
A2+B2+"."+C2 (which should $3.47)
A3+B3+"."+C3 (which should $12.09)
but I can't get the formulas to work. I'm sure this is simple, I'll kick
myself later, I promise!

Thanks in advance,
Alain

John[_22_]

Combine strings and numbers

Hi Alain
Try this =(A9&B9&"."&C9)*1
Bonne chance
John
[...]

Although your example involves the $ sign - please take into consideration
that the DOLLAR Function currency symbol depends upon your(!) Language
settings in the Control Panel.
So - if you live in the UK or in France the result of the DOLLAR function
will, eventually, display: £ or:
Micky

"Alain Dekker" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the answers. Yes, that was what I was looking for, the
ampersand &.