-   -   Deleting duplicate house numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/256103-deleting-duplicate-house-numbers.html)

Sarah

Deleting duplicate house numbers

Hello,

we extract information for street addresses, sometimes we receive house
number duplicated example:

123 123 Main Street

Does anyone know of a way to delete the first number so we just have the
correct address of 123 Main Street?

Thanks

Don Guillett[_2_]

Deleting duplicate house numbers

Sub dupstreetnumbersinstring()
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row
For Each c In Range("a1:a" & lr)
x = InStr(c, " ")
If Left(c, x) = Mid(c, x + 1, x) Then
MsgBox c.Row
c.Value = Mid(c, x + 1, 999999999)
End If
Next c

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Sarah" wrote in message
Hello,

we extract information for street addresses, sometimes we receive house
number duplicated example:

123 123 Main Street

Does anyone know of a way to delete the first number so we just have the
correct address of 123 Main Street?

Thanks

Gary''s Student

Deleting duplicate house numbers

With the addresses in column A, try this small macro:

Sub FixAddress()
Set rr = Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Range("A:A"))
For Each r In rr
parts = Split(r.Value, " ")
If IsNumeric(parts(0)) And parts(0) = parts(1) Then
parts(0) = ""
r.Value = Trim(Join(parts, " "))
End If
Next
End Sub

Macros are very easy to install and use:

1. ALT-F11 brings up the VBE window
2. ALT-I
ALT-M opens a fresh module
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To use the macro from the normal Excel window:

1. ALT-F8
2. Select the macro
3. Touch Run

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE window as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about macros in general, see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu201001