-   -   I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/25507-i-am-receiving-%22unable-read-file%22-message-how-do-i-open.html)

Alanb

I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open?

I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open?

Andy Wiggins

Try to open it on another machine. If you get the same result the file is
possibly corrupt and un-openable.

--
Regards
-

"Alanb" wrote in message
I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open?

Gord Dibben

From where are you trying to open?

If on removable media, copy first to hard drive then open from there.

Alternative.......was the file opened once and saved in Word?

If so, you can open in Word and try to retrieve what data you can.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 10 May 2005 09:58:09 -0700, "Alanb"
wrote:

I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open?

Jet

What version was the file created in. I had the same problem with a file
created in Excel 2000. Opened it in Excel 2003 and it repaired it, although I
lost some formatting at least I had the data.