-   -   Find number of times certain words show up in a column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/254242-find-number-times-certain-words-show-up-column.html)

BRB

Find number of times certain words show up in a column

I have a spreadsheet with roughly 2000 rows and 4 columns with column "A"
having model Par Numbers (which contain alphanumeric characters). I need to
end up with a count of how many times each PN shows up. The result can be in
the same sheet or a new one, but must be a list of unique PNs and their
respective count.
Since I have to do this twice weekly it becomes very time consuming to do it
manually. Can someone help me with this? Thanks,

Per Jessen

Find number of times certain words show up in a column

Hi

To create a list of unique PN, select column A, goto Data Advanced Filter
Action: Copy to another location Copy to: select cell on current sheet

Check 'Unique records only' OK

Suppose you have your unique list in E2 and down, enter this formula in F2
and copy it down as required:

=COUNTIF(A:A;"="&E2)

If you want to have it more automated, you will need a macro.

Regards,
Per