-   -   if one cell has this, the other says this.... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/25407-if-one-cell-has-other-says.html)

Laura

if one cell has this, the other says this....

I am trying to create a formula so that the first cell, created as a
drop-down box, could be used to select a specific text. Based off the choice
selected, the next cell would have text entered automatically. For example,
from the drop-down cell box (A1) you would select the code, and the
subsequent cell (A2) would display its description.

What would my formula look like?

Debra Dalgleish

You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are
instructions in Excel's help, and he

To return the related information for the selected item, you can use a
VLookup formula. There are instructions and examples he

There's a sample file that uses Data Validation and VLookup formulas he

http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#Function

Under Data Validation, look for 'Order Form'

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

paul

are you saying the "text" in the second cell is not the same as the text that
forms your list for the drop down box?If that is the case a drop down box
with an index or choose function referencing the cell link would do it
--
hope this helps
Paul

Laura wrote:
I am trying to create a formula so that the first cell, created as a
drop-down box, could be used to select a specific text. Based off the choice
selected, the next cell would have text entered automatically. For example,
from the drop-down cell box (A1) you would select the code, and the
subsequent cell (A2) would display its description.

What would my formula look like?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Laura

You are correct- the drop-down list has different text than the 2nd cell. For
example, if I select "TX" from the drop-down list, the second cell would say
"Texas". So what do you mean by an index or choose function? I am not too
familiar with the text functions, so these are new to me. Could you possibly
write out the function for me so that I understand?

Thank you for your help,
Laura

Laura wrote:
I am trying to create a formula so that the first cell, created as a
drop-down box, could be used to select a specific text. Based off the choice
selected, the next cell would have text entered automatically. For example,
from the drop-down cell box (A1) you would select the code, and the
subsequent cell (A2) would display its description.

What would my formula look like?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Laura

OK - I have figured it out.
However, I have not figured out how to have a blank in the dropdown box. I
would like the default value to be blank in the drop-down box. I even entered
a blank cell into the data validation's source. What do I do?