-   -   How can I Unlock cell/worksheet? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/253760-how-can-i-unlock-cell-worksheet.html)

Lyn

How can I Unlock cell/worksheet?

I received a spreadsheet that has been used as a form and only the cells
where information is to be populated are accessible. I thought I could do a
Save As or even copy all the contents and paste them into a new spreadsheet
so I can alter the cells that are not accessible, but I am unable to do this.
I cannot contact the originator for an editable version. How can I work
around this?

Jim Thomlinson

How can I Unlock cell/worksheet?

XL passwords are not very secure... Check out this link...

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

Please use these powers for good instead of evil...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Lyn" wrote:

I received a spreadsheet that has been used as a form and only the cells
where information is to be populated are accessible. I thought I could do a
Save As or even copy all the contents and paste them into a new spreadsheet
so I can alter the cells that are not accessible, but I am unable to do this.
I cannot contact the originator for an editable version. How can I work
around this?

Patricia[_2_]

How can I Unlock cell/worksheet?

You can try unprotecting it. That will do it if they did not password protect it.
In Excel 2007, go to HomeCellsFormat and select Unprotect.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...cell-worksheet

Lyn

How can I Unlock cell/worksheet?

It does not ask for a password when I open it, but when I try to do as you
have suggested, "Cell" is grayed out so I don't have the option to change it.
Any other suggestion?

"Patricia" wrote:

You can try unprotecting it. That will do it if they did not password protect it.
In Excel 2007, go to HomeCellsFormat and select Unprotect.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...cell-worksheet
.

Lyn

How can I Unlock cell/worksheet?

While that's interesting, I didn't find anything that I could understand to
help me with this issue. Can you dumb it down?

"Lyn" wrote:

I received a spreadsheet that has been used as a form and only the cells
where information is to be populated are accessible. I thought I could do a
Save As or even copy all the contents and paste them into a new spreadsheet
so I can alter the cells that are not accessible, but I am unable to do this.
I cannot contact the originator for an editable version. How can I work
around this?

Don Guillett

How can I Unlock cell/worksheet?

If you can prove to me that you are authorized to do this, send to me and I
will unprotect for you.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel