-   -   An odd question about formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/253687-odd-question-about-formatting.html)

cvgairport

An odd question about formatting

Ok, here's a toughie. I have a list of numbers in column A and I would like
in column B a smiliar number of asterisks like this:

4 ****
1 *
9 *********

Any ideas?

Amy

JR Hester

An odd question about formatting

Give the REPT Repeat function a try, I think it will fulfill your needs nicely.

"cvgairport" wrote:

Ok, here's a toughie. I have a list of numbers in column A and I would like
in column B a smiliar number of asterisks like this:

4 ****
1 *
9 *********

Any ideas?

Amy

David Biddulph[_2_]

An odd question about formatting

=REPT("*",A1)
--
David Biddulph

"cvgairport" wrote in message
Ok, here's a toughie. I have a list of numbers in column A and I would
like
in column B a smiliar number of asterisks like this:

4 ****
1 *
9 *********

Any ideas?

Amy

Ron Rosenfeld

An odd question about formatting

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:33:01 -0800, cvgairport
wrote:

Ok, here's a toughie. I have a list of numbers in column A and I would like
in column B a smiliar number of asterisks like this:

4 ****
1 *
9 *********

Any ideas?

Amy

b1: =rept("*",a1)
--ron

cvgairport

An odd question about formatting

Awesome! Thanks!

"cvgairport" wrote:

Ok, here's a toughie. I have a list of numbers in column A and I would like
in column B a smiliar number of asterisks like this:

4 ****
1 *
9 *********

Any ideas?

Amy

Dave Peterson

An odd question about formatting

You got your answers, but here's an alternative that I like:

=REPT(REPT(CHAR(134),4)&" ",INT(A1/5))&REPT("|",MOD(A1,5))

With 7 in A1, you'll see something like:
†††† ||

(nice if you're using Arial--not sure how it'll show up in the newsgroup,
though.)