-   -   Cannot copy from one workbook to another (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/25347-cannot-copy-one-workbook-another.html)

Michael Malinsky

Cannot copy from one workbook to another

For some reason I cannot copy from one workbook to another. My typical
method for copying is to hit Ctrl+C, switch workbooks, then hit Ctrl+V
although attempts to use the toolbar and right-clicking don't seem to
work either.

The copy function works fine. I get the "marching ants" to indicate
the area I've selected to copy. However, when I switch to another
workbook, the clipboard seems to empty itself so I cannot paste what
I've copied. I can copy/paste within the same workbook without a
problem. This only occurs when I want to copy from one workbook to
another.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike.

Peo Sjoblom

How do you switch between the workbooks? If you use a keyboard shortcut maybe
a macro interferes and clears the clipboard?

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Michael Malinsky" wrote:

For some reason I cannot copy from one workbook to another. My typical
method for copying is to hit Ctrl+C, switch workbooks, then hit Ctrl+V
although attempts to use the toolbar and right-clicking don't seem to
work either.

The copy function works fine. I get the "marching ants" to indicate
the area I've selected to copy. However, when I switch to another
workbook, the clipboard seems to empty itself so I cannot paste what
I've copied. I can copy/paste within the same workbook without a
problem. This only occurs when I want to copy from one workbook to
another.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike.

Michael Malinsky

I switch between the workbooks using either the taskbar or Alt+Tab. I
have no keyboard shortcuts at all.

Dave Peterson

Do you have any macros running (even events _activate and _deactivate (workbook
or worksheet)))?

If you close excel and reopen in safe mode (which will disable all macros), does
it work?

close excel
windows start button|run
excel /safe