-   -   Can I use a lookup on data containing duplicate entries? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/252796-can-i-use-lookup-data-containing-duplicate-entries.html)

City6

Can I use a lookup on data containing duplicate entries?

I'm using Excel 2007. I'm trying to sort data retrieved from a large data
dump that combines both numbers and text. Can I use the V-Lookup function if
the data contains duplicate entries? Or would another formula be more
adequate?

trip_to_tokyo[_3_]

Can I use a lookup on data containing duplicate entries?

Yes you can.

Please hit Yes if my comment has helped.

Thanks.

"City6" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2007. I'm trying to sort data retrieved from a large data
dump that combines both numbers and text. Can I use the V-Lookup function if
the data contains duplicate entries? Or would another formula be more
adequate?

Jim Thomlinson

Can I use a lookup on data containing duplicate entries?

Vlookup or any of the lookup type functions will return a match if a match is
found. If you have duplicate entries then it will return one of the entries
but you will have no way of knowing which one you got. What exatcly are you
wanting to do? Did you want a single total of all of the matching entries or
did you want a listing of the matching entries...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson