-   -   Data Validation drop-down (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/252762-data-validation-drop-down.html)

Michelle

Data Validation drop-down

I have a cell with data validation drop-down in it. If I've already chosen
an item the list opens next time with tht item at the top of the list -
can't see the ones at the top unless I scroll up.

I want it to open showing the beginning of the list each time. Can I control
how it opens?

I am OK with a VBA solution if that's the only way to do it, too. but how
would I control that drop-down with code?

Thanks

OssieMac

Data Validation drop-down

Hi Michelle,

I don't think there is any answer to this. That is what drop downs usually do.

Consider it in the opposite direction. You have selected one of the first
options and the next time you want one of the last options then you have to
scroll to the bottom.

OssieMac

"Michelle" wrote:

I have a cell with data validation drop-down in it. If I've already chosen
an item the list opens next time with tht item at the top of the list -
can't see the ones at the top unless I scroll up.

I want it to open showing the beginning of the list each time. Can I control
how it opens?

I am OK with a VBA solution if that's the only way to do it, too. but how
would I control that drop-down with code?

Thanks

CellShocked

Data Validation drop-down

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 01:01:01 -0800, OssieMac
wrote:

Hi Michelle,

I don't think there is any answer to this. That is what drop downs usually do.

Consider it in the opposite direction. You have selected one of the first
options and the next time you want one of the last options then you have to
scroll to the bottom.

My time sheet app always opens at the beginning of the time list I give
it.

I assign a Name to a range and then put "=RangeName" Where "rangeName"
is replaced by the name of the range I just created.

in the validation box. That way if I expand the list, the drop down does
too, and I am pretty sure that it always starts at 12:00 AM, regardless
of what time I previously chose.

Herbert Seidenberg

Data Validation drop-down

Excel 2007 Validation
Start at top of drop-down list.
With macro.
http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.racks.../01_08_10.xlsm

T. Valko

Data Validation drop-down

Let's assume the drop down is in cell A1 and the selections for the drop
down are 1,2,3,4,5.

List the selections in a range of cells, say, F1:F5.

Enter this array formula** in cell G1:

=INDEX(F$1:F$5,SMALL(IF(F$1:F$5<A$1,ROW(F$1:F$5)) ,ROWS(F$1:F1))-ROW(F$1)+1)

key then hit ENTER.

Copy down to G5

Create ths defined name

Goto the menu InsertNameDefine
Name: ListRange
Refers to:

=$G$1:INDEX($G$1:$G$5,COUNTIF($G$1:$G$5,"<#NUM!") )

OK out

As the source for the drop down use =ListRange

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Michelle" wrote in message
I have a cell with data validation drop-down in it. If I've already chosen
an item the list opens next time with tht item at the top of the list -
can't see the ones at the top unless I scroll up.

I want it to open showing the beginning of the list each time. Can I
control how it opens?

I am OK with a VBA solution if that's the only way to do it, too. but how
would I control that drop-down with code?

Thanks

ituTech

multiple records, same dropdown

On Monday, September 20, 2010 at 1:25:32 PM UTC+6, Faron Fowler wrote:
hi Biff,
great solution...i tried it out as i am having the same problems, however, I need to select from the same validation list several times per sheet...
If by your example, A1 contained the same validation, but so too did the range from A2:A10. How would i get the list to dynamically update referencing from other than A1?
On Friday, January 08, 2010 2:25 AM Michelle wrote:
I have a cell with data validation drop-down in it. If I have already chosen
an item the list opens next time with tht item at the top of the list -
cannot see the ones at the top unless I scroll up.

I want it to open showing the beginning of the list each time. Can I control
how it opens?

I am OK with a VBA solution if that is the only way to do it, too. but how
would I control that drop-down with code?

Thanks

On Friday, January 08, 2010 4:01 AM OssieMac wrote:
Hi Michelle,

I do not think there is any answer to this. That is what drop downs usually do.

On Friday, January 08, 2010 1:07 PM T. Valko wrote:
Let's assume the drop down is in cell A1 and the selections for the drop
down are 1,2,3,4,5.

List the selections in a range of cells, say, F1:F5.

Enter this array formula** in cell G1:

=INDEX(F$1:F$5,SMALL(IF(F$1:F$5<A$1,ROW(F$1:F$5)) ,ROWS(F$1:F1))-ROW(F$1)+1)

key then hit ENTER.

Copy down to G5

Create ths defined name

Goto the menu InsertNameDefine
Name: ListRange
Refers to:

=$G$1:INDEX($G$1:$G$5,COUNTIF($G$1:$G$5,"<#NUM!") )

OK out

As the source for the drop down use =ListRange

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP
Book Review: Google Analytics