-   -   Lock Author details (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/252737-lock-author-details.html)

Lise

Lock Author details

Hi there

Is there a way to lock the author details found in properties? I don't want
other users to be able to change this but at the same time don't want to have
to password protect the whole sheet.

Any help as always appreciated
--
Thanks

Lise

Gary Keramidas

Lock Author details

not sure if it can be locked or not, but maybe you can set it in the workbook
before save procedure

ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Author").V alue ="Your Name"

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Lise" wrote in message
Hi there

Is there a way to lock the author details found in properties? I don't want
other users to be able to change this but at the same time don't want to have
to password protect the whole sheet.

Any help as always appreciated
--
Thanks

Lise

Gord Dibben

Lock Author details

Why would you be doing this?

With the workbook closed I can still right-clickPropertiesSummary and
change the Author Name if I wanted to steal and distribute the workbook as
my creation.

Assuming I have full permissions to make changes to files and folders.

If users have restricted permissions then I think Gary's beforesave code
will do the job.

But will be defeated if macros are disabled by users.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:38:02 -0800, Lise
wrote:

Hi there

Is there a way to lock the author details found in properties? I don't want
other users to be able to change this but at the same time don't want to have
to password protect the whole sheet.

Any help as always appreciated

Gary Keramidas

Lock Author details

gord:

have you noticed that in windows 7, you can't change the revision number on the
details tab by right clicking an xls file?
i constantly have to rename them to a 2007+ extension (xlsm) to expose that box.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

wrote:

Hi there

Is there a way to lock the author details found in properties? I don't want
other users to be able to change this but at the same time don't want to have
to password protect the whole sheet.

Any help as always appreciated

Gord Dibben

Lock Author details

I don't have Windows 7

I'm still stuck on WinXP Pro

I don't use shared workbooks so have never had any workbooks with revision
numbers and change tracking.

So...........I had not noticed<g

Gord

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 19:26:20 -0500, "Gary Keramidas" <GKeramidasAtMSN.com
wrote:

gord:

have you noticed that in windows 7, you can't change the revision number on the
details tab by right clicking an xls file?
i constantly have to rename them to a 2007+ extension (xlsm) to expose that box.

Gord Dibben

Lock Author details

Or did you mean Document Version which is a property Excel 2003 does not
have?

Gord

wrote:

gord:

have you noticed that in windows 7, you can't change the revision number on the
details tab by right clicking an xls file?
i constantly have to rename them to a 2007+ extension (xlsm) to expose that box.

Gary Keramidas

Lock Author details

i use that field just so i can keep track of which version of a particular
workbook they're using. i display it on the title bar so the can tell me if i
suspect they have an older version.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

wrote:

gord:

have you noticed that in windows 7, you can't change the revision number on
the
details tab by right clicking an xls file?
i constantly have to rename them to a 2007+ extension (xlsm) to expose that
box.

Lise

Lock Author details

Thanks Gary - but where do I enter that sentence please??
--
Thanks

Lise

"Lise" wrote in message
Hi there

Is there a way to lock the author details found in properties? I don't want
other users to be able to change this but at the same time don't want to have
to password protect the whole sheet.

Any help as always appreciated
--
Thanks

Lise

.

Gary Keramidas

Lock Author details

in the vb editor, double click thisworkbook in the project explorer, paste this
in the code window and enter the name you want to show: