-   -   Entering ASCII codes with Excel 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/252202-entering-ascii-codes-excel-2003-a.html)

phuycke

Entering ASCII codes with Excel 2003

When I try to enter an ASCII code for a character in Excel 2003, the
keystrokes <FN + ALT + 0322 for example, don't work. Instead of entering
the accented character "é", it opens up a sort of dialogue window.
Please advise on how to enter ASCII characters.

T. Valko

Entering ASCII codes with Excel 2003

FN + ALT + 0322

What is FN?

Hold down the ALT key then, using the *numeric keypad*, type the number
code.

In the Arial font the accented character "é" is code 0232.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"phuycke" wrote in message
When I try to enter an ASCII code for a character in Excel 2003, the
keystrokes <FN + ALT + 0322 for example, don't work. Instead of entering
the accented character "é", it opens up a sort of dialogue window.
Please advise on how to enter ASCII characters.

Bernard Liengme[_2_]

Entering ASCII codes with Excel 2003

To expand on Biff's answer: the FN key is normally need only on a laptop.,
and on the laptop you must use the keys MJKLUIO&89 to enter the numbers
On a 'regular' keyboard use the number pad to enter the numbers
Hold down ALT and press 0178 to get subscript 2 (²)
happy new year
Bernard Liengme