Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Identify condition using multiple criteria WITHOUT sumproduct?..

Hi all -

Not sure if this is possible but... I have data that looks like this:

ID | UNIQUE ID | LINE | VALUE | TYPE |
01 | 01 | 1 | $1 |
YELLOW |
01 | - | 3 | $5 |
RED |
01 | - | 2 | $3 |
BLUE |
04 | 04 | 2 | $5 |
RED |
04 | - | 1 | $1 |
BLUE |

I use a helper column to consolidate the total value of a single ID on the
1st row that ID is found (using UNIQUE ID). So, in the example above there's
a column called "Helper: Total ID Value" w/ the 1st row equal to $9, 2nd row
$0, 3rd $0, 4th $6, 5th $0.

If a record (row) has a type of "BLUE" I want to set a flag on the 1st row
an ID appears in a new helper column. So, using the data above this new
column would have Flag = true on the 1st and 4th rows.

The basic logic I'm looking to implement is something like: Using a given
UNIQUE ID, search through all records with a matching ID and if any have
"BLUE" as a TYPE, return TRUE.

Here's the kicker: I can't use SUMPRODUCT because I have 15K rows and I
suspect my calculation times would become totally unmanageable.

Make sense?

Many thanks for any tips, hints, or condolences you share!
-meat