-   -   Opening a file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/251304-opening-file.html)

McElroyJ

Opening a file

When I open a file in excel, it automatically opens a blank(new) file along
with the file I was intending to open. Is there a setting to defeat it from
doing this? Thank you.

Gord Dibben

Opening a file

Try this first.

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
required)OK

If no joy go with this...........assuming WindowsXP OS

Append a /e to your Excel startup command to prevent Book1 from opening.

Go to StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile Types

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICExx\EXCEL.EXE" /e

You must have the double quotes and the <space/e prevents a new blank book
from opening.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP