-   -   How do I compare FORMULAS in two workbooks (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/25130-how-do-i-compare-formulas-two-workbooks.html)

Doug Gault

How do I compare FORMULAS in two workbooks

I have found many programs that will help me compare the VALUES in one
workboodk to another, but I need something that will help me compare the
underlying formulas.

We have some financially based spreadsheets that are routed through the
company for edit/review/approval and when we get them back we need to make
sure that nothing has happened to change the underlying forumlas.

I need a program/method to compare the routed spreadsheet to a "Master copy"
that will check to insure the formulas haven't changed.

Thanks

Hi
I would have thought it would be much easier - and safer - to protect the
cells with the formulas in. They cannot be altered by the end-user, then.

--
Andy.

"Doug Gault" <Doug wrote in message
I have found many programs that will help me compare the VALUES in one
workboodk to another, but I need something that will help me compare the
underlying formulas.

We have some financially based spreadsheets that are routed through the
company for edit/review/approval and when we get them back we need to make
sure that nothing has happened to change the underlying forumlas.

I need a program/method to compare the routed spreadsheet to a "Master
copy"
that will check to insure the formulas haven't changed.

Thanks

bj

try a macro like

subbkck()
for r = 1 to endrow
for c = 1 to endcolumn
if workbooks("wb1").sheets("sh1").cells(r,c).formula< if
workbooks("wb2").sheets("sh1").cells(r,c).formula then
workbooks("wb1").sheets("sh1").cells(r,c).select
With Selection.Interior
.ColorIndex = 6
.Pattern = xlSolid
End With
next c
next r
end sub

This will leave any changed cells highlighted yellow in wb1
Note if this does what you want, I would change the brute force macro to a
more formal macro with methods of having the macro select the max cells and
inputing the Workbook names. I also dim each variable and use option
explicit.
but I like brute force macros for initial set ups because it is easier to
see what they do.