Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What is xlNormal?

I was looking for further clarification as to what saving an excel as
filetype:= xlNormal means. I have been unable to find a definition that goes
beyond stating it is a normal workbook or that it's a constant equivalent to
-4143. What is a "normal workbook" exactly? I would like to have a better
understanding of what this means before I go ahead and use it.

The reason I ask is because I am working on updating some macros to save a
spreadsheet in a *.xls format (97-2003). This needs to run for users in
Office 2003 and 2007. I had been creating an if statement to check
application.version and running the appropriate syntax to save as *.xls until
I accidentily stumbled across another workbook that used filetype:=xlNormal
which runs in both versions and in both cases creates *.xls. Why does this
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See
http://www.rondebruin.nl/saveas.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"RyanAtWork" wrote in message ...
I was looking for further clarification as to what saving an excel as
filetype:= xlNormal means. I have been unable to find a definition that goes
beyond stating it is a normal workbook or that it's a constant equivalent to
-4143. What is a "normal workbook" exactly? I would like to have a better
understanding of what this means before I go ahead and use it.

The reason I ask is because I am working on updating some macros to save a
spreadsheet in a *.xls format (97-2003). This needs to run for users in
Office 2003 and 2007. I had been creating an if statement to check
application.version and running the appropriate syntax to save as *.xls until
I accidentily stumbled across another workbook that used filetype:=xlNormal
which runs in both versions and in both cases creates *.xls. Why does this
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

xlNormal is a normal XL workbook. Whatever version you are running is the
normal xlFile type. Other options include xlCSV which save the file as a CSV
file. xlHtml is a web page...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"RyanAtWork" wrote:

I was looking for further clarification as to what saving an excel as
filetype:= xlNormal means. I have been unable to find a definition that goes
beyond stating it is a normal workbook or that it's a constant equivalent to
-4143. What is a "normal workbook" exactly? I would like to have a better
understanding of what this means before I go ahead and use it.

The reason I ask is because I am working on updating some macros to save a
spreadsheet in a *.xls format (97-2003). This needs to run for users in
Office 2003 and 2007. I had been creating an if statement to check
application.version and running the appropriate syntax to save as *.xls until
I accidentily stumbled across another workbook that used filetype:=xlNormal
which runs in both versions and in both cases creates *.xls. Why does this
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for posting that Ron. I have not done much in XL2007 and I missed the
details on the different file types.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your quick response. Would I be correct to say that xlNormal is
just a standard filetype for excel that when opened will be adjusted to the
version and that is why a 2007 file saved as xlNormal opens and runs fine in
2003?