Dave Peterson

Is there a way to match spreadsheets without using access?

There are a few ways I know to compare values in two worksheets...

#1. There are ways to compare two worksheets (cell by cell--A1 with A1, X99
with X99, ...).
Look at Myrna Larson and Bill Manville's compare program:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/whatsnew.htm
look for compare.xla

#2. You could create a new sheet with formulas that look at the cells on other
sheets.
Put this in A1 of the new sheet:
=if(sheet1!a1=sheet2!a1,"","Different")
and drag down and to the right as far as you need.

#3. There are ways to compare two worksheets when each row/record has a unique
key. You could use =index(match()) or =vlookup() or a macro that does this for
you.

#3. There are programs that do text comparisons between plain old text files.
MSWord is one of those programs.

You could save the files as text files (.csv or .txt or .prn???) and then use
MSWord to compare the two text files.

barbb wrote:

in access I use unmatch to compare data files on excel worksheets. Using only
excel, is there a way around access?

--

Dave Peterson