-   -   How to alphabetize 8 columns as one? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/250442-how-alphabetize-8-columns-one.html)

kwiley

How to alphabetize 8 columns as one?

I have a list of 350 customers that references a grid location. I need to
print this list in 8 columns to minimize the pages that print with the map.
To get this to print, I have been cutting and pasting; very time consuming
when 1 item changes. How can I sort the columns to avoid redoing the print
copy each time?

Luke M

How to alphabetize 8 columns as one?

The easist way will be to have the actual data stored as a single column.
Let's say its located in column A, starting at A1. If you want to make 8
columns, with a limit of 45 entires per column, you could use this formula:

=INDEX($A:$A,ROW(A1)+(COLUMN(A1)-1)*45)

Note that to modify this formula, you need only change the index array
(currently called out as $A:$A) or the number of entries per column
(currently 45). You can then copy this formula down 45 rows and over as
needed. Note that you may need to delete/hide the extra formulas (or setup an
IF statement to not display errors).
--
Best Regards,

Luke M